Contemporary Aboriginal poems
Contemporary Aboriginal poetry is an important part of Aboriginal art. Many poems express how Aboriginal people feel today and their poems are about the challenges that they share with non-Indigenous people but also about problems specific to their lives.
The Aboriginal-owned Koori Mail newspaper regularly publishes poems written by Aboriginal people.
Call for poetry!
Do you write poetry? Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent?
I’d love to publish your writing.
Contact me and send me your poem.
Maybe someone discovers your talent just like Dan’s (see box below) or Coralie’s poem ‘No Disgrace’ which was published in an Australian school textbook.
Read Aboriginal poems
- A Right To Be Heard, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- A Song of Hope, Oodgeroo (Kath Walker)
- All Walks Of Life, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- Always Told I Was A White Girl, Tara Shannon, NSW
- Black Woman, Frank Doolan
- Broken, Sandra Hayman, NSW
- Burning Tree, Samuel Mclean
- Calling Me Home, Lyndon Lane, NSW
- Dark Secrets, Jeanine Leane, NSW
- Destiny, Richard G Kennedy, VIC
- Displaced, Rachel Davidge, NSW
- Doing Time, Travis Eulo, NSW
- Faith, Michael Thompson, QLD
- From Past To Present, Landon Punch, WA
- From Where I Stand, Sandra Hayman, NSW
- Galiny Bulmba (Come to my place), K L Burns, NSW
- Gumbaynggirr, Travis Blair
- Heart And Soul, Michael Thompson, QLD
- Here I Stand, Sandra Hayman, NSW
- I Am Different, Michele “Mickey” Hetherington, NSW
- I Got ‘Lations’, John M Wenitong, QLD
- If it Wasn’t for the Footprints, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Indigenous All Stars, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Just Another Drunk Black?, Colleen Kitchener, NSW
- Kinchela (The Stolen Kids), Paul Buttigieg
- Life of Sharon Roebourne, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- Long Ago Days, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Mangroves, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Meaning of First Nations’ Peoples - Australia Day Thought, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Mookari, Dan Davis, Central QLD - With audio
- Moonthanguddi, Dan Davis, Central QLD - With audio
- My Mother The Land, Phill Moncrieff, WA
- My Sitting Down Place, Gail Kay, QLD
- My Want Then and Today, B Robertson, NSW
- NAIDOC Assembly, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- New Horizons, Sandra Hayman, NSW
- No Disgrace, Coralie Cassady, QLD
- Our Light, Michele “Mickey” Hetherington, NSW
- Please Stop The Violence, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- Proud Murri, Daniel Davis, QLD
- Roots of a Woman, Julie Saunders, St George, QLD.
- Saltwater Mourning, Samuel McKechnie, NSW
- Self Education Political Conscience, Justin Walker, ACT
- Society, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Sorry Day, Vicki Roach
- Spirit and Belief, Bradley Flanders, NSW
- Stand Strong, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- The Aboriginal Soldier, Sandra Hayman, NSW
- The Australian, Aaron Richardson, NSW
- The Constitutional Rose, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- The Elder, Patsy Jackson, QLD
- The First Australians, Troy Hopkins, QLD
- The Heart Of Auss, John M Wenitong, QLD
- The listed servitude of roots, Curly, QLD
- The Mascots of Hope, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- The Real Me, Racheal Wilson, Perth, WA
- This Old Bloodwood, Samuel McKechnie, NSW
- Thug Life, Ray Sailor
- To Fight Another Day, Michael Thompson, NT
- Together We Go Hand In Hand, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- Too Much Luuving, Zone Moore, NSW
- Tribal Birth, Margaret Armstrong, QLD
- Tribal Land, Dale Backo
- Tribal Lines, Daniel Davis, QLD
- Unspoken, Michele “Mickey” Hetherington, NSW
- Unsung, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Untitled poem, Sharon Livermore, NSW
- What Becomes Of Us Now, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Whence You Come From, Julie Saunders, St George, QLD
- Who Are We?, Richard G Kennedy, VIC
- Wild Flowers, Ali Coby Eckermann
- Wisdom, J E Doyle
- Word of a Ghetto Child, Ray Sailor
- You Still Wonder, John M Wenitong, QLD
- Your Way - Our Way - The Truth, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
The UK-based Commonwealth Education Trust (CET) chose Dan Davis’ poem Mookari to represent Australia in its 125th anniversary anthology. One poem or story is chosen from each country of the Commonwealth.
The CET found his poem after it was published here on this website.
I am receiving a growing number of poems by non-Aboriginal writers who respond to the Aboriginal poems published on CreativeSpirits.info:
- A Response To Dan And Others Sebie Brooks
- An Elder’s Passing, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Let’s Face The Truth Abi DRabi, NSW
- Light Years Away, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Motor Prowling, Chris Miller, SA
- My Face Is Black, Frank Corso, Melbourne, VIC
- Respect The Indigenous Abi DRabi, NSW
- Shared Sunset, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Spirit Dreaming, Phillip McDonald, Newstead, VIC
- Stolen Goodes, Chris Miller, SA
- The Darkness in Behind the Sun, Leah McGarrity, NSW
- The Graffiti Poet, Chris Miller, SA
Special offer: 20% off!
‘Indigenous Etchings’ is a collection of Aboriginal poems, short stories, interviews and photos.
Save 20% on your copy!
100% Aboriginal content, produced by Aboriginal people.