Browse contemporary Aboriginal poems, an art not often found in mainstream media.
Contemporary Aboriginal poetry is an important part of Aboriginal art. Many poems express how Aboriginal people feel today and their poems are about the challenges that they share with non-Indigenous people but also about problems specific to their lives.
The Aboriginal-owned Koori Mail newspaper regularly publishes poems written by Aboriginal people.
Call for poetry!
Do you write poetry? Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent?
I’d love to publish your writing.
Contact me and send me your poem.
Maybe someone discovers your talent just like Dan’s (see box below) or Coralie’s poem ‘No Disgrace’ which was published in an Australian school textbook.
- A Song of Hope, Oodgeroo (Kath Walker)
- All Walks Of Life, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- An Elder’s Passing, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Black Woman, Frank Doolan
- Burning Tree, Samuel Mclean
- Calling Me Home, Lyndon Lane, NSW
- Dark Secrets, Jeanine Leane, NSW
- Destiny, Richard G Kennedy, VIC
- Displaced, Rachel Davidge, NSW
- Doing Time, Travis Eulo, NSW
- From Past To Present, Landon Punch, WA
- Galiny Bulmba (Come to my place), K L Burns, NSW
- Gumbaynggirr, Travis Blair
- I Got ‘Lations’, John M Wenitong, QLD
- Indigenous All Stars, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Just Another Drunk Black?, Colleen Kitchener, NSW
- Kinchela (The Stolen Kids), Paul Buttigieg
- Life of Sharon Roebourne, Sharon Roebourne, WA
- Light Years Away, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Long Ago Days, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Mangroves, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
- Mookari, Dan Davis, Central QLD - With audio
- Moonthanguddi, Dan Davis, Central QLD - With audio
- My Mother The Land, Phill Moncrieff, WA
- My Sitting Down Place, Gail Kay, QLD
- My Want Then and Today, B Robertson, NSW
- NAIDOC Assembly, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- No Disgrace, Coralie Cassady, QLD
- Proud Murri, Daniel Davis, QLD
- Self Education Political Conscience, Justin Walker, ACT
- Shared Sunset, Jonathan Hill, NSW
- Society, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Sorry Day, Vicki Roach
- Spirit and Belief, Bradley Flanders, NSW
- The Australian, Aaron Richardson, NSW
- The Elder, Patsy Jackson, QLD
- The First Australians, Troy Hopkins, QLD
- The Heart Of Auss, John M Wenitong, QLD
- The listed servitude of roots, Curly, QLD
- Thug Life, Ray Sailor
- To Fight Another Day, Michael Thompson, NT
- Too Much Luuving, Zone Moore, NSW
- Tribal Birth, Margaret Armstrong, QLD
- Tribal Land, Dale Backo
- Tribal Lines, Daniel Davis, QLD
- Untitled poem, Sharon Livermore, NSW
- What Becomes Of Us Now, Dan Davis, Central QLD
- Who Are We?, Richard G Kennedy, VIC
- Wild Flowers, Ali Coby Eckermann
- Wisdom, J E Doyle
- Word of a Ghetto Child, Ray Sailor
- You Still Wonder, John M Wenitong, QLD
- Your Way - Our Way - The Truth, Zelda Quakawoot, QLD
The UK-based Commonwealth Education Trust (CET) chose Dan Davis’ poem Mookari to represent Australia in its 125th anniversary anthology. One poem or story is chosen from each country of the Commonwealth.
The CET found his poem after it was published here on this website.
I have received a poem by a non-Aboriginal writer in response to some of the poems published here. Read A Response To Dan And Others by Sebie Brooks.
Special offer: 20% off!
‘Indigenous Etchings’ is a collection of Aboriginal poems, short stories, interviews and photos.
Save 20% on your copy!
100% Aboriginal content, produced by Aboriginal people.
Last updated: 5 March 2014
Related articles & resources
Articles and resources related to "Aboriginal poems":