Mopoke welcomes some visitors to the valley, who have come from far away. Young Joey is just learning to hop, and is envious of these new special creatures - and wishes he too could stride across the valley.
About the Author
Ruth Hegarty (born 1929, Mitchell, Queensland) is an Aboriginal Elder and author.
Hegarty is well known for her non-fiction novels that document her personal history as one of the Stolen Generation. Her first book, Is That You Ruthie?, is based on her experiences in the Cherbourg Aboriginal Mission where she lived until the age of 14. Her second novel, Bittersweet Journey is her story from her early married life, her dealings with the Native Affairs Department, and her work in community politics and Indigenous organisations.
Is That You Ruthie? won the 1998 Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards, Unpublished Indigenous Writer - The David Unaipon Award.
Get a copy now from your favourite trusted store
Further search options
Links are configured to offer you a 1-click search.
Explore more Aboriginal books
Most viewed books
Heard of these?
- Yatdjuligin - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing and Midwifery Care
- Buried Country - The Story of Aboriginal Country Music
- Different White People: Radical Activism for Aboriginal Rights 1946-1972
- Salt Creek
- Country Women and the Colour Bar
- Yorro Yorro
- Deadly D & Justice Jones: The Search
- Settlers, Servants and Slaves
- Nelson Aboriginal Studies Stage 6
- The Oldest Foods on Earth