John Maynard comes from both Aboriginal and racing backgrounds. He knows first hand that the premise that there had been very few Aboriginal riders is far from the truth.
Aboriginal Stars of the Turf celebrates the significant and exciting Aboriginal involvement in Australian racing history. Amongst the many Aboriginal jockeys highlighted in the book are Merv Maynard, Norm Rose, Frank Reys, Richard Lawrence ‘Darby’ McCarthy and Leigh-Anne Goodwin, Australia’s first female Aboriginal jockey to ride a winner at a metropolitan track.
Get a copy now from your favourite trusted store
Further search options
Links are configured to offer you a 1-click search.
Explore more Aboriginal books
Most viewed books
Heard of these?
- Yatdjuligin - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing and Midwifery Care
- Buried Country - The Story of Aboriginal Country Music
- Different White People: Radical Activism for Aboriginal Rights 1946-1972
- Salt Creek
- Country Women and the Colour Bar
- Yorro Yorro
- Deadly D & Justice Jones: The Search
- Settlers, Servants and Slaves
- Nelson Aboriginal Studies Stage 6
- The Oldest Foods on Earth