Culture is Inclusion – A narrative of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability is a remarkable and compelling story of Aboriginal people with disability presented in a unique way that combines traditional research methods and the concept of ‘yarning’.
Written from the personal accounts of Aboriginal people with disability, researcher Scott Avery has complied a narrative that transports the reader to another world, hidden to most Australians.
It is a world in which people are exposed to social inequality and injustices that most other Australians take for granted. Despite overwhelming disadvantage, these proud and resilient people continue to defy their experience by embracing their traditional culture of an inclusive society.
Rich in data and personal testimony, this thoroughly researched publication provides an important window into the lives of Aboriginal people with disability and is a must-read for those involved in the sector, or those who care about social justice and hope to make a difference.
The work leaves you wondering, ‘How can this be happening in our country?’ and hopes to spark others to continue the research journey.
The book is available via the First Peoples Disability Network Australia.
There is no word for disability in Aboriginal languages. — Scott Avery
- Cultural and social presentations of disability by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Key terms and concepts
- A community-directed research methodology
- Prevalence and profile of disability amongst the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population
- Discrimination experienced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander disability market
- Intersectional inequality: the numbers and narratives
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and the national disability insurance scheme
- Mental health and wellbeing – trauma and healing
- Culture is inclusion: a first peoples cultural model of disability
- A first peoples disability research agenda.
In this hour-long video, author Scott Avery presents the key findings from this research.
Get a copy now from your favourite trusted store
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through the below links.