- Alice Springs, Northern Territory
- Folk | Reggae | Rock | Roots Explore more genres
- About Apakatjah
Apakatjah (pronounced uppa–cut-ja), a duo consisting of Dion Forrester (lead/rhythm guitar and vocals) and Jonathan Lindsay-Tjapaltjarri Hermawan (lead/rhythm guitar and vocals).
The word ‘apakatjah’ is a Luritja (Western Desert, west and south of Alice Springs) kriol word for a person of mixed race heritage and represents the musician's blended cultures and wide musical influences. Apakatjah combines the cultures of Aboriginal Australia (Pintupi-Luritja, Pitjantjatjara, Pertame Central Arrernte, Alywarre, Kaytitj and Islander), as well as heritage from European, Indonesian, Irish, Welsh and Dutch migrants.
Album formats explained Explain formats
- 10": 10 inch vinyl records were played at 45 or 33 1/3 rounds per minute (rpm). The former could hold 9, the latter 12 minutes of music per side.
- 7": 7 inch records (often referred to as 45s) were played at 45 rpm or 33 1/3 rpm, with about 4:30 or 6 minutes of music per side.
- LP: Long play, is a vinyl record played at 33 1⁄3 rpm with a 12 or 10-inch diameter.
- EP: Extended play, are vinyl records that allowed two or even three songs on each side.
- 23 September 2016
Apakatja's debut single 'Waru' was a finalist in the rock category of the NT Song of the Year awards 2016.
In Between (Single)
- 24 February 2017
- In Between
- 31 March 2017
- Down the Road
- Desert Man
- Irriti Nyinapayi
- Desert Highway
- What Did I Do
- Far From Over
- In Between
Limited time offer:
Find Apakatjah albums & CDs
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through any album links.
Use the Aboriginal music timeline to view albums over time.