- North-east Arnhem Land, Northern Territory, Australia
- About Garrangali
Band members: Mundymudiny Dhamarrandji (Nicholas, vocals), Yiniwuy Marawili (Danny, traditional vocals), Wulkuwulku Marawili (Amos, backing vocals), Malngay Yunupingu (Kevin, yidaki & vacking vocals), Wurrandon Marawili (Ronald, vocals), Nambulili Marawili (Fabian, backing vocals), Rakuwarr Wanambi (Dion, drums), Wurrku Wanambi (Rico, bass guitar), Watjarrngambi Marawili (Nathan, rhythm guitar), Makungun Marika (Brendan, keyboards), Djulumarr Gurruwiwi (Darren, rhythm guitar)
Garrangali Band sings in English and Yolngu.
We are the the Garrangali, descendants of the crocodile. This is about the ancestral land, where the first Baru man walked the earth.— Garrangali Band
Album formats explained Explain formats
- 10": 10 inch vinyl records were played at 45 or 33 1/3 rounds per minute (rpm). The former could hold 9, the latter 12 minutes of music per side.
- 7": 7 inch records (often referred to as 45s) were played at 45 rpm or 33 1/3 rpm, with about 4:30 or 6 minutes of music per side.
- LP: Long play, is a vinyl record played at 33 1⁄3 rpm with a 12 or 10-inch diameter.
- EP: Extended play, are vinyl records that allowed two or even three songs on each side.
Garrangali (Crocodile Nest)
- 24 March 2010
- Mungurru (Blue Mud Bay)
- Tongues Of The Fire
- Sea Rights
- Mirri (string from the dawu tree)
- Djanytjunga (great sea hunter)
- Nambarra (leaf of the paperbark tree)
- IPA (Indigenous Protected Area)
- Muthi Muthi (soldier crab)
- Muthi Muthi (Dance Mix)
The CD album is complemented by a DVD that includes music videos of two featured songs, Mungurru and Muthi Muthi, shot on location.
"The lyrics and Manikays [clan songs] of this album embrace the deep connection and relationship between the ancestral land and sea and the visions of the old people." — Warren Snowdon, Federal Member for Lingiari, Northern Territory
Find Garrangali Band albums & CDs
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through any album links.
Use the Aboriginal music timeline to view albums over time.