- Papunya, Northern Territory, Australia
- Reggae | Roots
"Tjupi" means honey ant. The band sings in Luritja and English.
Tjupi Band has been described as epitomising Central Australia desert reggae--sparse, upbeat, driving kick and snare, in-language; the songs are about loneliness for country, love lost, listening to elders, following tradition, social issues, skin pride and tribal unity [[#1 'NT tour beckons for Papunya band', Koori Mail 503 p.59]].
Band members: Barnabus Daniels (Lead Singer), Jason Butcher (Guitar), Malcom Karpa (Rhythm Guitar / Backing Vocals), Jeremiah Butcher (Keyboards), Lesley Pearce (Keyboards), Dwayne Abbott (Backing Singer), Desmond Inkamala (Drums), Ethan Macdonald (Bass Guitar / Backing Vocals).
Album formats explained Explain formats
- 10": 10 inch vinyl records were played at 45 or 33 1/3 rounds per minute (rpm). The former could hold 9, the latter 12 minutes of music per side.
- 7": 7 inch records (often referred to as 45s) were played at 45 rpm or 33 1/3 rpm, with about 4:30 or 6 minutes of music per side.
- LP: Long play, is a vinyl record played at 33 1⁄3 rpm with a 12 or 10-inch diameter.
- EP: Extended play, are vinyl records that allowed two or even three songs on each side.
Kuunyi (Poor Thing)
- 6 March 2006
- Petola Wanti (Leave Petola Alone)
- Nyuntu Ngayunya Payinu (You Told Me To Leave)
- Tjupi Music
- Wilurrarakutu (Towards West)
- Ngayulu Nyinanyi (I Was Sitting Alone)
- Youngubela Kutju (One Young Fella)
- Kunkangkuni Wanikatingu (My Girl Left Me)
- Wati Palangku Kulila (Listen Carefully)
- Anangu Luritjiku (For The Luritja People)
- Ngurra-Nganampa (Our Homeland)
- Wati-Kutju (One Man)
- Wajilpa-Wajilpa (Sad, Feeling Lonely)
- Ngayulu Nyangu (I've Seen It All)
- Jamunya-Kapalinya (Grandfather And Grandmother)
- 4 June 2012
- Ananyi (Going)
- Kapi (The Rain)
- Yangulpala Kutju (One Young Man)
- Wati (Man)
- Pipirri Ulanyi (Baby Crying)
- Walungurrulakutu (To Kintore)
- Amunturrngu (Mt Liebig)
- Puyu Wanti (Leave Your Smokes Alone)
- Kungka (Woman)
- Ula Kutju (One Little Boy)
- Wati Kutjungku (One Man)
- Aliluya (Hallelujah)
Kutju Ngarala (Standing Alone)
- 16 January 2013
- Irtitja Tjutaya Nyinapayi
- Wiima Paluru
- Yangabala Kutju Ananyi
- Kutju Nagarala
- Wati Kutjungku
- Standing by the tree
- Ngura Walytja
- Putu Kulini
- Wati Kutjunya
- Dancing in the moonlight
- Ngura Watirra Ngalyanu
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through any album links.