The Yolngu leaders asked for this DVD to be made. Through song, dance, art and ritual, the Yolngu people of northeast Arnhem Land pass on and preserve their sacred knowledge. The Djungguwan is one of their most important ceremonies.
This two-DVD set brings together three rare films of the Djungguwan from 1966, 1976 and 2002—including, for the first time, secret and sacred scenes—plus an introductory film and five mini-documentaries. It explores the role of ceremony in Indigenous Australia and provides an extraordinary cultural record for future generations.
- Introduction to the Djungguwan (6 mins)
- Understanding the Ceremony: This Is My Land (11 mins), The Meaning of the Ceremony (10 mins), The Wawilak Narratives (7 mins), The Instruments of Ceremony (11 mins), A Cinematic Record (18 mins)
- Films of the Ceremony: Djungguwan - Speaking to the Future (2002, 87 mins), The Djunguan of Yirrkala (1966, 17 mins, unrestricted scenes only)
- Extras: Photo Gallery, Maps, Credits
- Teachers Notes and Background Material (You’ll need a computer to access these text files)
- Films of the Ceremony: Djungguwan at Gurka’wuy (1976, 199 mins, edited version)
- Release dates
- 2006 - Australia
- Video/DVD release date
- Winner - Best Indigenous Resource: 2007 ATOM (Australian Teachers of Media) Awards
- M - Mature
- Film Australia
Level: Secondary, Tertiary, Lifelong Learning. Curriculum links include Indigenous Studies, Studies of Religion, Legal Studies, Society & Culture, SOSE/HSIE, History, English, Media, Performing & Visual Arts. Teachers notes and background material are included on DVD.
Find a copy of "Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land"
- Browse Aboriginal film suppliers and distributors
- Find Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land at the National Library of Australia
- Find Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land at GooglePlay
- Find Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land with Google
- Find Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land at Amazon
- Find Ceremony – The Djungguwan of Northeast Arnhem Land at eBay
Other films by Trevor Graham
Explore more Aboriginal movies
Aboriginal movie timeline
Explore movie history with the Aboriginal film timeline.
Take the quiz: Are you an Aboriginal movie buff?