The Dreaming is a 3-part series of animated Dreaming stories from around Australia that aired on ABC television. The stories are diverse and uniquely entertaining.
Each episode was designed and animated by a team of Aboriginal artists who received training in traditional and computer-assisted animation with help from the Department of Employment, Education and Training.
Each series includes teacher's guides and notes.
- Introduction to the Dreaming and the process of animation (24 min)
- Compilation of interviews and information about the storytellers (90 min)
- Six stories: Gelam – Talwalpin & Kowinka – The Waratah – Tajeer-Tarnium – Kuti kina – Mar The Cockatoo (30 min)
- Seven stories: The Two Willy-willies – Dumbi The Owl – Warlukulunga – The Black Snake – How Bama Got Biri – Wonga & Nudu – Myths of The Galaxy (35 min)
- Understanding the Dreaming
- Four stories: The Goori Goori bird – Thukeri – How The Mopoke Came to Be – The Dolphin
- Four stories: Djet – The Butterfly – Ballawinne – The Two Wise Men And The Seven Sisters
- Five stories: The Moon And His Two Wives – Blue Mountain Butterfly – Buda:dji – The Stone Canoe – Tree Duck
- The making of the series
- Four stories: Min-na-wee (Why The Crocodile Rolls) – Nudjanuka – How the Waratah Became Red – How The Water Got To The Plains
- Four stories: Ngarntipi (Spinifex Pidgeon) – How Brolga Became a Bird – Emu And The Jabiru – The Coming of a Warrior
- Five stories: Manala The Monster Cod – The Snake And The Goanna – Tuggan Tuggan – Biami And Marmoo – Buduk And Bulaytj Bulaytj.
- G - general
A modern and vastly extended version, The Definitive Dreaming Series, is available today.
Watch now or find a DVD/BlueRay copy
Browse a list of Aboriginal film suppliers and distributors
Other films by Various directors
Use the Aboriginal film timeline to discover films you never heard of.
Take the quiz: Are you an Aboriginal movie buff?